tornado damage

Nature Often Trumps Politics, Religion and Lives

Posted on

No matter how caught up we become in our lives of politics, current affairs, religion and the everyday aspects of our culture, sometimes the natural forces of our planet come around to show us how little influence we have and how small we really are.

Photos from the aftermath of the Fairview, TN Feb. 5, 2008 tornadoes.

Photobucket
This is the spot where once stood an over 100 year old church.

Photobucket
The house stood but the ambiance of a couple’s dream home is damaged for a lifetime.

Photobucket
The mill replica survived.

Photobucket
Nature’s power leaves it’s mark.

photos: 4-7-08
K

Wynnewood – Castalian Springs, TN – Then and Now

Posted on

I was in the area and stopped by to take some photos of the historic Wynnewood house that was heavily damaged by a tornado on Feb. 5, 2008.

After the storm.
photos 3-23-08

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wynnewood

Old Highway 25, Castalian Springs, TN 37031

Overlooking Bledsoe’s Lick bottom, the magnificent two-story log structure now known as Wynnewood is another spectacular historical and archaeological resource.

The extant two-story log structure and dependencies were originally built to serve as an inn for stagecoach travelers along the “Avery Trace,” the main east-west road across the state. Wynne and his partners selected a site of great natural beauty when they staked out its foundations on the sloping wooded hillside just south of the lick springs. Set in a beautiful grove of cedar and hardwood trees, the house was located not quite halfway from the flat of the lick bottom to the brow of the hill. According to family tradition, the inn was built in 1828. However, due to the extensive amount of work required in its construction, it is doubtful that it could have been completed in a single year. More likely, the main building complex was raised in 1828, finished in 1829, and occupied in 1830, the year that it was opened to the public. Sometime between 1829 and 1832, the inn and springs changed from being “Bledsoe’s Lick” to “the Castalian Springs.” Valerius Publicola Winchester, Mrs. Wynne’s brother, suggested the name change because it reminded him of the springs of Castalia at the foot of Mount Parnassus where Apollo and the Muses lived in Greek mythology. Unfortunately for this venture, soon after completion of the inn, the stagecoach route was relocated south of the Cumberland River in Wilson County. The result was a dramatic reduction in travel and travelers along the road through Bledsoe’s Lick. With the failure of the stagecoach inn, the Wynne family occupied the structure as their residence and began to cultivate summer patronage for “the springs.”

The inn was built of materials plentifully available on the site. The foundation walls, which raised the logs and other woodwork safely above the damaging effects of surface water and moisture, were formed of limestone blocks quarried from the adjacent hillside. The same material was used to build the six original chimneys, five of which are still standing. Sturdy hardwood logs – many as long as thirty-two feet and all cut from nearby trees – were squared to 8” x 16”, notched and put in place on the foundation for the walls of the two story building. Hand-hewn beams and joists whose ends rested on the foundation supported the first story. At the second floor level supporting joists were mortised directly into the log walls. Ceiling joists for the second floor served to tie the roof rafter stucture together as well as to support the ceiling. The roof, latticed with wide boards, was originally covered with hand-split wood shingles. When acquired by the State in 1971, the roofing was asphalt shingles placed ca. 1936. When replaced in 1995, the roof was restored to hand-split wood shingles matching those removed in 1936.

The main building of the inn, approximately 110’ x 21’, contained ten rooms: five on each of the two floors. There were fireplaces in eight of the ten rooms. On the first floor a central open hallway or “dogtrot” led from the front steps to the back porch or galley which extended nearly the full length of the rear of the building. All rooms on the first floor opened onto the dogtrot or the gallery. Originally there were no rooms with connecting passageways. Rooms on the second floor were reached by one of the two stairways, the principal one rising from the dogtrot. The second ascends from the gallery at a point one room away from the west end of the building. The large room at the east end of the second floor, the size of the two first floor rooms beneath it, was used at one time as a meeting room for the local Masonic lodge. At other times it was used as a public sleeping room for male overnight guests of the inn. The original roof over the gallery was at the level of the eaves of the second floor. In 1899 it was lowered to its present first floor level.

The interior walls of the five first floor rooms were at first unfinished but later plastered. The plaster finish was applied in late 1836 is Almira Wynne was able to heed her husband’s written instruction from Natchez, November 4, 1836 suggesting that she “brave the difficulties” and have it finished before bad weather. Sometime since, plaster has been applied to the walls of the three westernmost rooms on the second floor. The large upstairs room at the east end was left with the logs exposed.

A large kitchen, approximately 20 feet square, with a massive stone fireplace was located in a story and half log house connected by its roof structure to the west end of the main building and separated by another dogtrot. It is thought to have been a part of the original construction of the inn. The kitchen floor was some six or seven steps lower than the floor of the main building. Five steps led down from the kitchen level into the spacious stone-walled cellar located beneath the two westernmost rooms of the inn. Separate open-riser stairs connected the kitchen to the room above it.

A two-story annex has formed an ell-type extension southward from the main building since it was connected to the inn in 1899. The log portion of this unit, approximately 20×20, is located at the south end of the ell and appears to have been built sometime before the inn. It is of two stories and originally was served by a stone fireplace and chimney, both of which were later removed. All of the logs used were of cedar; a fact that clearly sets it apart from the other buildings in which the use of cedar logs was consistently avoided. Differences in the squaring of the logs and the corner notching are such that suggest an earlier stage of construction. Could this have been the “comfortable cabin” and/or “workshop,” the only two structures mentioned in the published court notice of sale of 300 acres to settle General Winchester’s estate in 1829? On this point, no firm facts are available. Connection of the log house to the inn by board and batten walls created additional enclosed space that has since been used as a dining room.

Located about fifty feet south and west of the annex is the original smokehouse. The details of its log construction seem to match the inn in every particular and strongly imply that it was built at the same time that the inn was created.

Perhaps forty feet southeast of the inn is a log cottage containing a single room with a large stone fireplace. This unit is of the same period as the original construction. It was used for many years sa office and living quarters for the community medical doctor. In later years it was rented as a summer cottage and its accomodations carried the highest rates charged. In other times it was variously used as the Wynne family’s bachelor quarters and as a schoolroom.

As an inn, mineral springs resort, and spa, Castalian Springs saw two major periods of operation. The first lasted from 1830 until 1861, the second from 1899 until 1914. Though commercial guests were not sought between 1861 and 1899, the custom of taking local boarders did continue in this period.

In the summer of 1830, the partners of Wynne, Cage and Roberts placed advertisements in the National Banner and Nashville Whig to invite summer visitors to the springs:

The fountains are numerous, and the waters are uncommonly cold, clear and palatable; their constituent qualities are somewhat varied; all of them, however, contain portions of Sulphur, Soda, Salts, and Magnesia.

The effects of these waters have been fairly tested, and experience has proved them of great service in all eruptions of the skin or other cutaneous diseases, dispepsia, or indigestion, headache, liver complaint, diseases of the eyes, gravel and many other chronic and acute diseases.

The proprietors have at considerable expense erected spacious and comfortable buildings for the accommodations of guests… equal to any establishment of the kind in the Western country. The surrounding scenery is peculiarly picturesque and beautiful, and Nature seems to have left but little to be supplied by art to render the retreat mor fascinating and agreeable. Every exertion shall be used to afford pleasure and comfort to visitors, the invalid shall have unvaried and constant attention, while the gay, the grave and the fashionable shall meet with a hearty welcome.

Unfortunately for the Castalian Company, the firm established to run the venture, the advertisements did not generate sufficient interest and the company was dissolved only two or three years after its creation. There seems to have been little activity at the resort during the first decade. However, when the first post office was established on April 24, 1837, and designated “Castalian Springs,” the old name of Bledsoe’s Lick was abandoned by the surrounding community which elected thereafter to be called Castalian Springs.

By 1838, a developing public interest in the spa was revealed in a letter written to the editor of the Gallatin Union called for its further development:

…having had a conversation with the proprietor of this spring [The Castalian Springs] about the policy of building “huts” and making the necessary preparations to accommodate the lame and halt, the weak and infirm, the sound and robust, and the pleasure hunters, during the warm as well as the sickly season of the year, I learned that he had it in contemplation to… erect extensive buildings, and make such other preparations as may be necessary for the next season. It is indeed to be hoped… that this matter will not be delayed. If I should be allowed to prophecy… I am from all surrounding circumstances constrained to say, if extensive preparations are gone into, that in a few years it would rival the Harrodsburg Springs. What is there to prevent it? Nothing under the sun. What is it that makes a watering place a fashionable resort? It is its natural and artificial appearance, and the Medicinal effects of its Water. In one of these qualities, the Castalian far excels the Harrodsburg or any other spring in our knowledge. Viz. its natural Scenery.

There is no place… that is better calculated to soothe and cheer up the natural feelings of a way-worn traveler, of an unfortunate, consumptive being, of a thin pale visaged dyspeptic man or woman, of an unlucky battler, and finally of a poor sickling disappointed lover, as the scenery which presents itself around this pure unadulterated fountain of health…

…Around this place the first emigrants to this state settled their families… Here Society is excellent; it may be very appropriately called the land of Churches. 6 campgrounds in less than 7 miles, 3 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 2 C. P. and 19 common places of preaching.

…Often whilst at these Springs I have heard strangers remark “it is a great pity that this man don’t improve this place. It is as pretty a situation as I ever saw in my life.”

By 1839, summer business at the springs was booming.

In response to an inquirty from a correspondent in Holly Springs, Mississippi, Charles Cassedy wrote a detailed recommendation of the Castalian Springs that was copied in the Gallatin Union , March 29, 1839. Cassedy declared that he had “much faith in the properties of the waters of these springs.” He wrote of the Lick: “The plain in which the Castalian Springs are situated, is an irregular amphitheatre of some extent, embossomed in lofty hills, mostly wooded with the native forest growths of the country, to their summits: here you will find the mountain oak, the ash, the hickory, the beech, the sycamore and numerous others…

In the July 12, 1839 edition of the Gallatin Union, “The Castalian Springs is becoming a place of considerable resort…. This most excellent water is considered equal to any in the United States, and we can but believe that the time is not far distant when it will be classed with the first fashionable watering places of this country. Col. Wynne, the proprietor, is still going on building and improving – his present accommodations not being sufficiently extensive to accommodate the visitors that are beginning to resort there from different sections of the Union.”

The fulsome summer crowds of August 1839 were swelled by the presence of county politicians of both major parties who had retired to the springs on the day after the state elections there to await the results. First reports showed that the Whig, Newton Cannon, was leading the Democrat, James Knox Polk, in the governor’s race. Complete returns showed Polk, “Young Hickory,” the winner, and literal explosions of joy and of gunpowder set off in large logs announced the news. At Castalian Springs, the celebration lasted “past 10 p.m.”

The colonel’s title derived from his rank as commander of the 1,200 man Gallatin and Hartsville militia. He was never called to duty, but six of his eight sons experienced wartime service. The two eldest were in the Tenth Legion during the Mexican War. Four others that were Confederate soldiers.

Colonel Wynne died in 1893 and was interrred in the Winchester Cemetery at Cragfont. Through a complicated chain of inheritances, Castalian Springs descended to his surviving daughters: Susan Winchester Wynne, Mary Meriwether Wynne, and Maria Louise Wynne. From them Castalian Springs passed to their youngest brother, Winchester Wynne.

It was during the tenancy of the sisters, under the management of J.B. Blakemore and then Tom Youree, that Castalian Springs enjoyed its greatest popularity as a spa. There was a full complement of cottages, bathhouses, dance pavilions, bowling alleys and billiard rooms. A larger dining room was added and additional guest rooms provided in the main house.

In the hands of Winchester Wynne and his sons, Edmund Rucker Wynne and George Winchester Wynne, Castalian Springs became a model farming operation, and their methods and results were publicized nationally. Repairs, replacements and the few additions were always made with old materials. Then in 1971, George Winchester Wynne and his wife, Eula Westbrook Wynne, in a final effort to preserve the integrity of the house and landscape, deeded the area to the State of Tennessee.

In many ways, Wynnewood is a uniquely well preserved location preserving a landscape associated with the beginnings of colonization of the Old Southwest, a destination point of the majority of westward travelers from 1780-1830, and an exceptional body of architecture and landscape reflecting the vernacular style of the frontier period.

Now preserved as Wynnewood State Historic Area, the site has seen several seasons of archaeological research.
http://www.mtsu.edu/~soc/anthropology/bledsoe/background.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Historic Wynnewood sustains heavy damage

By CHERYL TATUM

Devastating is how local historians term the destruction of one of Sumner County’s most popular historic sites during Tuesday night’s tornado that hit the Castalian Springs area.

The historic stagecoach inn sustained heavy damage as a tornado hit that portion of Sumner County a little after 10 p.m.

According to local historian John Garrott, president of the Bledsoe Lick Historic Association, which maintains the site, about half the two-story log structure is gone and as well as most of the trees that were so much a part of the historic site.

“We are in the process of gathering up the artifacts now to try and keep them safe,” Garrott said, adding that a state ranger is coming to access the damage.

Castalian Springs resident Nathan Harsh, who has served on the Bledsoe Lick board, termed the condition of Wynnewood as devastating.

Wynnewood, on the register National Historic Landmark, was built in 1828 and is the largest log structure in Tennessee. It stretches 142 feet in length.

It is owned by the state of Tennessee and managed by the Bledsoe Lick Historic Association.

“Being a national historic landmark is such an important designation. Sumner County only had two sites on the register, and the other was Fairvue. With the changes at Fairvue, it was taken off the register, so Wynnewood was Sumner County’s only site designated as a historic landmark,” Harsh said.

“This is a tragic loss for Sumner County’s history. We have lost so much history to urban development already,” he added.

Kaye Ireland, head of the county’s tourism department said the site was one of the most popular historic attractions in the county.

“It was one of my favorite homes. This is just devastating,” Ireland said. “Everyone who visited thought it was so unique.”

The historic site is closed until further notice, according to Garrott, who added it will be up to the State Historical Commission to decide about repairs.
Source: The Tennessean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Restoration is being done by Leatherwood of Fairview TN.
http://www.leatherwoodinc.com/

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fairview TN Tornado Damage from Feb. 5, 2008

Posted on

The pictures below are from the property of Bill and Paula Carpenter near Fairview, TN. I always said their place was like a state park. The tornado damage from Feb. 5, 2008 was tragic but luckily no one was hurt.
Paula is a writer using the name Paula Wall.
see http://www.paulawall.com/
Best wishes to both of these fine people.
K

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Below is a video taken in Jan. 2007 after a rework of the over 1 mile road on the property leading up to a cell tower.

The $100,000 Road Ride-Eminent Domain Blues Version


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-TuF27Gio